Recipe by Vanessa Baxter
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
3 chicken thighs, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Thyme
300g smoked sausage, cut into 1cm thick slices
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped 4 sticks of celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 bay leaves
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
1-2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1L Campbells Real Chicken stock
500g Sun Rice Long Grain White rice
12 raw king prawns, peeled and deveined
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cayenne and dried herbs.
2. Pour oil into a large casserole type pan and brown the chicken pieces and sausage over a medium heat. Once nicely browned on all sides, add onion, peppers and celery, bay, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, then fry on medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the vegetables have softened, add the garlic and chillies and stir well. Add the tinned tomatoes and Campbells Real Chicken stock. Bring everything to the boil, then turn the heat down. Place the lid on the pan and simmer until the meat is cooked.
4. Add the Sun Rice Long Grain White rice, stir well then place lid on. Stir frequently. Cook until Sun Rice Long Grain White rice is tender.
5. Stir in the prawns and if required, add enough water to produce a porridge-like consistency. Cook until prawns are just done. Stir the spring onion through and season to taste.This recipe is untested in the MasterChef NZ kitchen