Crab and Cucumber Cannelloni with Scallop and Hapuka Tartare
Crab and Cucumber Cannelloni with Scallop and Hapuka
Recipe by Tony Price
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Wine Match: Lindauer Special Reserve
170g tin crab meat, drained, picked through and cartilage removed
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Zest of 1/4 lime
1/4 tsp spring onion, very finely chopped
1 small green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tbsp crème fraiche
Ground white pepper
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp mild wasabi paste
Salt, to taste
Scallop and Hapuka Tartare
6 scallops, roe removed, finely diced
50g hapuka, skinned, boned, finely diced
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp wasabi mayonnaise
Salmon caviar, to serve
Chives, cut to 3cm, to serve
1 lemon segment, cut into tiny pieces
1. To prepare the cannelloni filling, place the crab meat in a
mixing bowl and add the lemon zest, lime zest, spring onion, chilli
and crème fraiche. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with
salt and white pepper. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready
2. Peel the cucumber, then use the peeler to create thin, wide ribbons of cucumber by peeling lengthways. Continue on one side, but stop once the seeds start to show in the ribbons. Continue on the other side of the cucumber.
3. Lay out two layers of cling film on a chopping board and lay the cucumber ribbons out vertically in a rectangle, slightly overlapping. Spoon the crab mixture into an even cylinder shape at one end of the cucumber. Roll up the cucumber to encase the crab mixture, then wrap tightly but gently with cling film. Place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
4. To make the wasabi mayonnaise, combine the ingredients and season to taste. Place in a small squeezy bottle and refrigerate.
5. To prepare the scallop and hapuka tartare, place the scallops and hapuka in a mixing bowl and add the lime juice, lemon zest, mayonnaise and wasabi paste. Season with salt and combine well. Cover and refrigerate.
6. To serve, unwrap the cannelloni and slice into bite-sized pieces. Place 4 pieces on a serving dish. Select a cutter or ring mould the same size as the cannelloni. On a chopping board, fill the mould with tartare and remove the mould. Transfer to the serving plate, alternating spacing with the cannelloni and repeat to get 4 moulds of tartare on the plate. Top each stack of tartare with 2 chive tips and a piece of salmon caviar. Use the squeezy bottle to place mayonnaise on serving plate and top with a few more pieces of caviar. Place pieces of lemon on top of the cannelloni.