Recipe by Simon Gault
1.1 litres Anchor milk
1 tsp stock powder
160g Homebrand flour
160g Mainland butter
100g minced Jamon (can substitute prosciutto)
1 cup flour Homebrand flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
1. In a small saucepan, bring Anchor milk to a simmer. In a
separate saucepan melt the Mainland butter. Add the flour to the
butter and cook for 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat.
2. Gradually add the hot milk to the butter and flour while stirring. Add the minced jamon and return to a low heat and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and beat eggs into the mix one at a time until each egg is fully combined. Allow mix to cool.
4. Pipe mix into rows on a baking sheet, about 2.5cm wide. Freeze, then cut into 8 cm lengths. Pane the croquettes by dipping in Homebrand flour, then egg then breadcrumbs and return to the freezer until needed.
5. To cook the croquettes, preheat the deep fryer to 180C and cook until golden brown. Drain well and place on paper to remove any excess oil and season with salt.
- You can add curry powder, paprika or chilli to the béchamel.
- You can substitute smoked chicken or smoked fish instead of using Jamon if you like.