Escalivada -Catalan Roasted Eggplant and Pepper Salad
Recipe by ©Ray McVinnie and Associates Ltd
4 red capsicums
1 large eggplant
50mls Lupi extra virgin Olive oil plus extra for rubbing over the vegetables
2-3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 small clove garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
flat leafed parsley leaves for serving.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Rub the peppers and eggplant all
over with Lupi Olive oil. Place the peppers on an ovenproof tray
and the eggplant on another. Place in the oven until the peppers
are blistered and browned all over and the eggplant is soft but not
2. Carefully peel off the skins. Core, seed and slice the peppers into strips. Halve the eggplant and peel. Slice the flesh into strips.
3. Arrange the slices of peppers and eggplant onto a flat serving dish in alternating red and yellow stripes. Combine the Lupi extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl and drizzle on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve sprinkled with a few parsley leaves.
- Do not wash the skins off the peppers as this will wash away the flavour, simply scape off the skins with a small knife.
- Save any juice from the peppers too use over the salad because this tastes good.
- Great trick once your peppers are roasted and out of the oven, place in a sealed plastic bag or place in a bowl and cover with cling film or a plate, this helps the skins lift of easily.
- Always prick eggplants before roasting in the oven as they burst.
- The vegetables can also be roasted on the BBQ.