Episode 9 - Fillet of Beef with Parsnip and Macadamia Puree
Fillet of Beef with Parsnip and Macadamia Puree and Seasonal Vegetables
1 x 900g piece eye fillet
grape seed oil, for frying
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
200ml red wine
1L veal stock
1 tsp vegemite
1 tbsp brown sugar
250ml white wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
9 sprigs thyme
200 grams beetroot, peeled and very thinly sliced
12 dutch carrots, peeled and green tops trimmed and sliced in half lengthways
2 cloves garlic
70ml olive oil
550 grams parsnips, peeled and diced
750 ml milk
45 grams macadamia nuts
bunch parsley, leaves picked
salt, black salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut eye fillet into 6 steaks, reserving trimmings. Tie each steak with butchers string to keep shape and set aside.
- To make the jus, place 1 tablespoon grape seed oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Add reserved beef trimmings and fry until golden. Add another tablespoon grape seed oil, carrot, onion and celery and fry until softened. Add red wine and allow to simmer until reduced by 2/3. Add vinegar and reduce again. Add veal stock and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a clean saucepan. Set saucepan over medium heat and allow to simmer until sauce has reduced and coats the back of a spoon. Add vegemite and brown sugar and whisk to combine. Remove from heat, whisk in 20gm butter and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the beetroot, place 225ml white wine vinegar, caster sugar, 3 sprigs of thyme and 65 ml water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Place prepared beetroot slices in a bowl. Pour over hot liquid and set aside to pickle.
- To prepare the dutch carrots, place in a roasting pan. Add garlic, remaining 6 sprigs thyme, 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt. Place in the oven to roast until golden and crisp, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, keeping warm.
- To make the parsnip and macadamia puree, place the parsnips and 375ml milk in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cover and allow to simmer until soft, about 20 minutes.
- While the parsnips are cooking, place macadamia nuts, remaining 50ml olive oil, 50 ml water and remaining 25ml white wine vinegar in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt.
- Remove cooked parsnips from heat, drain, reserving 100ml cooking liquid. Transfer parsnips to the food processor with the macadamia puree. Add remaining150gm butter, 375ml milk and seasoning. Process until smooth adding some reserved cooking liquid if necessary. Pass through a drum sieve or strainer, season and set aside, keeping warm.
- To cook the beef, season steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with grape seed oil. Set a frypan over high heat. Add steaks and fry until golden on each side. Transfer frypan to the oven and cook for about 5 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven and set aside to rest.
- To prepare the radish, slice thinly, place in a bowl of iced water and set aside.
- To serve, spread parsnip and macadamia puree on each serving plate. Add steak and carrots. Garnish with pickled beetroot and radish and spoon over jus. Season steak with black salt and parsley to finish.