Episode 6 - The Forbidden Fruit
The Forbidden Fruit
1 egg, separated
75g 70% dark chocolate, melted
250g raspberry puree
50g liquid glucose
1 egg yolk
50g 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
2 teaspoons glucose
50g measure white chocolate
2 teaspoons cherry red powdered food colouring
75g cocoa butter
20g 70 % dark chocolate, melted
125g raspberries, cut in half
125g strawberries, cut in quarters
1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberry powder
- Preheat oven to 165C.
- To make the mousse, place egg yolk and 25g sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water and whisk until thick. Slowly add melted chocolate, while whisking until well combined and thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk egg white and remaining 20g sugar until soft peaks form.
- Whisk cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold cream, at a time, into chocolate mixture. Fold egg white into mixture. Pour mixture into 6cm diameter half dome moulds and place in the freezer to set.
- Meanwhile, to make the sorbet, place raspberry puree, glucose and sugar in a saucepan and place over medium heat until melted. Transfer to a bowl and cool in an ice bath. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions. Once frozen, set aside in the freezer.
- To make the soil, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until they resemble soil. Transfer mixture to a baking tray and place in the oven to bake until crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the ganache, place chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream and glucose in a saucepan until just beginning to boil. Pour over chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is completely combined. Set aside.
- When the mousse domes are almost set, remove from freezer and take a small scoop out of each one. Fill the hole created with sorbet and return to the freezer to set for 5 minutes.
- To make the chocolate coating, place white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, to melt. Add food colour and stir to combine. Add cocoa butter and stir to combine. Turn off heat, allowing chocolate to sit over hot water so that it remains at pouring consistency. Remove from heat if becoming too runny.
- To make the twigs, pour melted chocolate into a piping bag. Pipe twig shapes into a bowl of iced water and allow to set. Remove twigs from water and set aside on paper towel.
- Remove filled domes from the freezer and un-mould. Place 2 half domes together to make spheres. Rubbing the join slightly to remove.
- Place spheres on a wire rack and pour ganache slowly over to coat spheres. Return spheres on rack to freezer to set for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pour chocolate coating over spheres to completely cover.
- Make a hole in the top of each sphere with a skewer. Carefully stick a twig into the hole of each sphere and add a mint leaf.
- Spread some soil on each serving plate. Add the apple sphere. Dust plate with raspberry powder. Garnish with berries and nasturtium leaves and add a spoonful of sorbet.