Episode 59 - The Whiting, that wants to be Lamb Tzatziki
The Whiting, that wants to be Lamb Tzatziki
5 large King George Whiting
50g rendered lamb fat
5 Lebanese cucumbers
30g chardonnay vinegar
50g vegetable oil
Black garlic puree
175g black garlic (out of the skin & rinsed)
175g button mushrooms, roughly sliced
4 shallots, diced
1 sprig thyme
10 cloves garlic, peeled
Finished garnish mis' en place
Whiting fillets x 10
Rendered lamb fat
Roasted cucumber pieces x 10
Black garlic puree in piping bag
Garlic chips on paper towel
Yoghurt, natural hung
- Preheat oven to 120C, heat deep fryer to 160C and turn salamander on low.
- For the whiting, fillet and pin bone the whiting. Trim the fillets into neat even sizes and place into a half sized gastro tray covered in cling film. Set aside in fridge.
- Place lamb fat onto a baking tray and into the oven to warm.
- As needed, lay whiting fillets skin side down onto small paper lined baking tray and brush flesh with melted lamb fat.
- Place tray of whiting onto the middle shelf of the salamander and cook gently until the flesh gives away when gently pushed, approximately 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the roasted cucumber, square off cucumber by cutting about cm off the sides and discard trimmings.
- Cut 4 equal cm lengths of cucumber and place into vac bag. Add chardonnay vinegar, season with salt and seal until service.
- For service, remove from bag and dry on paper towel. Heat a small amount of oil in a frypan and roast cucumber until a soft golden colour is achieved, turn cucumber onto other side and cook for another 30 seconds then remove from pan. Drain on paper towel and keep warm under salamander.
- Meanwhile, to make the black garlic puree, melt butter in a pan and saute shallots and thyme. Add sliced mushrooms and cover pot with lid and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add black garlic and cook until water has evaporated, taking care not to let garlic stick to the bottom of the pan. Blend until smooth and pass through a fine sieve. Place into a piping bag fitted with a 5.cm nozzle and hold until service.
- Meanwhile, to make the garlic chips thinly slice garlic cloves on mandolin top to bottom ensuring they are full clove slices.
- Place milk and garlic into a medium pot and bring to the boil. Strain garlic chips and dry on paper towel, discarding the milk.
- Scatter of the garlic chips into the fryer. Once golden, scoop out and drain well on paper towel and season with salt. Repeat process to cook remaining chips.
Pipe dots of yoghurt and black garlic on plate. Garnish dots with garlic chips and dill. Place cucumber on plate and whiting fillet on top of cucumber (skin side up) and dust a little lemon powder over the whiting.