Episode 54 - Prawn, Mussel and Sweetcorn Bisque
Prawn, Mussel and Sweetcorn Bisque
1 tbsp oil
12 prawns, head and shells removed and reserved
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
250ml white wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
1L fish stock
1 bay leaf
3 strands saffron
2 corn cobs, kernels removed
12 baby corn
2 1/2 tbsp butter
12 mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
130 gms sourdough bread
1/4 cup chopped parsley plus parsley leaves, for garnish
50gm speck, finely chopped
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the bisque, heat oil in a saucepan set over medium heat, add prawn heads and shells and fry until a dark orange colour. Add carrot, onion, leek, celery and garlic and fry for 10 minutes. Deglaze pan with brandy then 125ml white wine and cook until almost evaporated. Add tomato paste and cook a further 2 minutes. Add fish stock, bay leaf, saffron and corn and allow to simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a clean saucepan.
- Return saucepan to a medium heat, add cream and baby corn and stir to combine. Add prawns and cook just until cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, to cook the mussels, place 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan and set over high heat. Add mussels and remaining 125ml wine, cover and cook until mussels have opened. Transfer cooked mussels to the bisque.
- To make the crumb, place bread, parsley and remaining 1 1/2 tbsp butter in a food processor and process to a fine crumb. Place crumbs on a tray and place in the oven to bake until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place spec in a frypan and set over high heat. Fry until crispy. Add to breadcrumbs, season and stir to combine.
- To serve, serve bisque with mussels, prawns and baby corn in a bowl. Sprinkle with crumb and parsley leaves.