Episode 53 - Fig and Walnut Scones
Fig and Walnut Scones
3 cups SR flour
100 gms butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
250ml milk, plus a little more for brushing
1/2 cup mascarpone
5 tbsp thickened cream
zest 1 lemon
4 figs, cut into quarters
50 gms butter
60 gms walnuts, toasted
4 dates, roughly chopped
1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To make the scones, place flour and butter in a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl and add sugar. Add milk and gently incorporate by cutting in with a spatula. When just combined turn out onto a floured bench and press together to form a rectangle.
- Cut out rounds using a 6cm ring cutter and place on a paper lined baking tray so that scones are touching. Brush tops with milk and place in the oven to bake until golden and risen, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the cream, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make the filling, place butter in a frypan and set over medium heat to melt. Add figs and fry until warmed through. Remove from heat. Add toasted walnuts and dates and mix. Set aside.
- To serve scones, cut in half. Spread with cream. Top with the fig filling and drizzle with honey.