Episode 44 - Hickory and Coffee Ribs
Hickory and Coffee Ribs
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 teaspoons ground coffee
1.5 kg pork ribs
1 small onion, grated
1 small green apple, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coffee
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon molasses
3 tablespoons brown sugar
250ml beef stock
50 g chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
30mls apple cider vinegar
30mls Worcestershire sauce
30mls vegetable oil
- Set the smoker, or alternatively the oven to 115C.
- For the spice rub, combine all of the ingredients, reserving 1 tablespoon of the mix.
- Rub the ribs with the Worcestershire sauce and spice rub and leave to marinate for one hour.
- For the BBQ sauce, gently fry the onion, apple and garlic until softened. Add reserved spice mix and coffee and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Transfer the sauce to a food processor, and blitz until smooth. Pass through a sieve. Set aside 150ml to serve on the side.
- Place the ribs in the smoker/oven for 2 hours. Remove from the smoker/oven and cover in BBQ sauce. Cover the ribs with foil and cook for one more hour.
- Remove ribs from the smoker/oven and brush with remaining BBQ sauce. Place back into the smoker/oven, uncovered for 30 minutes until tender, and a dark crust has formed.
- To serve, slice the ribs and serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side.