Episode 41 - Puffed Sorghum, Parfait with Ant, Sorghum and Amcha Powder Praline
Puffed Sorghum, Parfait with Ant, Sorghum and Amcha Powder Praline, and Achacha and Amcha Caramel
250 ml grapeseed oil
55g (1/4 cup) sorghum
3 egg yolks
3 tsp amchur powder
3 tsp coffee flour
3/4 cup puffed sorghum (from above)
1 tbsp ants
1/4 cup puffed sorghum (from above)
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp cream
2 tbsp amcha powder
1 tbsp coffee flour
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp sugar
Salt, to taste
skins from 200g achcha
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the puffed sorghum, heat grapeseed oil to180C. Drop sorghum into hot oil and cook until puffed. Remove form oil and drain on kitchen towel.
- For the parfait, whip the cream to soft peaks. Over a pan of boiling water, whisk yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until double in size, and thick and pale. Gently fold in amcha and coffee flour and puffed sorghum. Pour into 12 silicon dome moulds and set aside in the freezer.
- For the praline, line a tray with baking paper. Sprinkle with ants and sorghum. Place sugar in a pan and heat until dark brown. Shake the pan to heat the sugar evenly. Once it reaches a dark brown colour, pour onto ants and sorghum, sprinkle with salt and allow to cool and set. Once set, transfer to a food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- For the caramel, heat sugar in a pan until it reaches a dark brown colour. Immediately whisk in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
- For the crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place all of the crumb ingredients into a food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle onto a tray and bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and transfer to a food processor again. Blitz to a fine crumb.
- For the achacha skins, heat sugar and water in a saucepan. Once the sugar has dissolved, place achacha skins in the sugar syrup and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from syrup and finely slice. Mix the skins into the caramel sauce.
- To assemble, mix together the garnish ingredients. Spoon caramel sauce into the middle of the plates. Place a spoonful of crumb mixture into the middle of the sauce and add praline. Place 3 spheres of parfait onto each plate and top with puffed sorghum, more praline and small spoonfuls of caramel with achacha skins.