Episode 40 - Chinese Chicken Sweetcorn Pie
Chinese Chicken Sweetcorn Pie
220g butter, unsalted
2 tbsp schezuan peppercorn, ground
4 egg yolks
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten for glazing
250ml chicken stock
65ml soy sauce
125ml shaoxing wine
2cm ginger, sliced
1 small brown onion, finely diced
20ml sesame oil
600 grams skinless chicken thighs
1 teapsoon peanut oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 corn cob, kernels removed
5 coriander stem roots, finely chopped
3cm ginger, grated
2 spring onion, finely sliced
1 garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp red chilli, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Using a blender, combine flour, butter and schezuan spice until it resembles fine crumbs. Add 4 egg yolks, one at a time. Add enough water, about 40ml, until mixture comes together. Turn out onto a floured bench and bring the mixture together. Wrap in plastic and rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a pressure cooker, cook the filling ingredients by combining the stock, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, ginger, onion, sesame oil and chicken thigh for 30 minutes. Alternatively, simmer ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat for 35-40 minutes until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the ingredients for the corn, except butter and flour, in a medium frypan for 6-7 minutes until corn is tender. Remove from heat.
- Remove the chicken from the stock. Strain the stock through muslin. Shred the chicken and add to the corn mixture.
- Combine the butter and flour and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Gradually add 1/3 of the reserved stock, whisking continuously until it has thickened. Add to the chicken and corn mixture and stir well to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Roll pastry to 5mm thick and line 4 x 10cm base pie moulds with pastry. Place baking paper over the pies and fill with baking beans. Blind bake the pie crusts for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fill with chicken mixture. Cut 4 circles from remaining dough and place on top, egg wash the pies and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.