Episode 39 - Strawberry Shortcake
250g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
250g almond meal
250g caster sugar
125g plain flour
250g strawberries, green tops cut off
Juice of 1 lime
30g caster sugar
1 tsp xanthan gum
50g creme fraiche
1 tsp vanilla paste
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 165C.
- For the shortcake place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
- For the strawberry jam, place half of the strawberries, lime juice and caster sugar in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and gently reduce to a third of the original volume. Return to the blender, add xanthan gum and blitz again until smooth.
- Slice the remaining strawberries into quarters and cover with strawberry juice. Set aside in the fridge to macerate for one hour.
- Roll the shortcake dough between two sheets of baking paper to a 30cm x 19cm rectangle. Transfer to a baking tray, remove top layer of paper and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and working quickly while shortcake is still warm, use a 4.5cm cookie cutter to cut rounds out of the shortcake. Set aside until ready for assembly.
- For the vanilla cream, place all ingredients in a standing mixer and whisk until stiff. Transfer to a piping bag and leave in the fridge until assembly.
- To assemble, place a shortcake base on the plate. Pipe a 1cm thick ring of vanilla cream around the edge of the shortcake, leaving it hollow in the middle. Spoon a teaspoon of strawberry jam into the middle of the shortcake. Garnish with petals of marigold flowers.