Episode 34 - Mandarin Prawns with Vietnamese Slaw
Mandarin Prawns with Vietnamese Slaw
Juice of 1 mandarin
Juice of 1/2 orange
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp tamarind concentrate
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lemongrass, bruised and roughly chopped
4cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
4cm piece galangal, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
16 prawns, heads on, shell removed and deveined
4 sprigs Vietnamese mint, leaves picked
6 sprigs dill, roughly chopped
4 sprigs mint, leaves picked and torn
2 spring onion, finely sliced
2/3 cup bean shoots
60g baby spinach
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fish sauce
- For the dressing, pour mandarin juice in a small saucepan over a medium heat and reduce by half.
- Combine all of the other ingredients for the dressing in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add reduced mandarin juice and blitz again. Strain and set aside.
- For the slaw, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- Heat a chargrill over a medium heat and drizzle with oil. Season prawns and fry on hot grill pan until cooked through, about 2 minutes each side.
- To serve, place prawns on the plate and drizzle over remaining dressing. Top with slaw and sprinkle with sesame seeds.