Episode 33 - Fried Flathead with Potato Three Ways
Fried Flathead with Potato Three Ways
Potato and dill puree
400 grams desiree potato, peeled and diced, skin reserved
50 grams butter
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 stalks dill, finely chopped, extra fronds reserved for garnish
Salt and pepper
Crisp potato cubes and skins
200 grams desiree potato, peeled and cut into cubes, skin reserved
30 ml olive oil
salt, to taste
2 cups cornflour
2 tsp ground fennel
2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and white pepper
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 flathead, filleted and pin boned
oil for deep frying
175 grams heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 radish, quartered
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
10ml white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
40 ml grapeseed oil
Fried sweet potato slices
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the puree, place the potato in a small saucepan of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Remove from heat, strain and pass through a sieve into a bowl. Add butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and dill. Mix to combine and adjust seasoning. Set aside, keeping warm.
- For the cubed potatoes and skins, arrange potato cubes and skin on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil and season and bake until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- For the flat head, heat the oil to 180C. Combine cornflour, salt and spices in a small bowl. Dip the flathead into the egg, then the cornflour mixture. Repeat process to create a double coating. Fry the fish until it reaches a light, golden brown colour, about 4-5 minutes. Remove fish from oil, sprinkle with salt and drain on paper towel.
- For the salad, combine tomatoes, radish, lemon zest and parsley together in a bowl. Mix vinegar, mustard and oil together to make a dressing and whisk to combine. Just before assembly, toss the salad in the dressing.
- To serve, spoon puree onto the plate and garnish with extra dill fronds. Place the potato cubes and skins on top, followed by the fish. Scatter tomato salad around the fish.