Episode 31 - Pan Fried Duck with Beetroot Three Ways
Pan Fried Duck with Beetroot Three Ways
Oil, for frying
400g duck bones (wings, necks, frames)
2 shallots, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
6 star anise
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped
6 bay leaves
500ml cabernet sauvignon vinegar
250ml duck stock
250ml veal stock
125ml sangiovese verjuice
2 tbsp sugar
800g beetroots, peeled
4 duck breasts
1 cup rocket
2 sprigs mint, leaves picked
4 fennel fronds
1 candy stripe beetroot, finely sliced and set aside in ice water
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C
- For the sauce, cut the bones into small pieces and add to a hot pan with a little oil to caramelise and brown. Add shallots, garlic, 3 star anise, carrot, leek and 3 bay leaves. Cook until vegetables have softened. Add 200mls vinegar and reduce until it has almost evaporated. Add stocks, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook. Add 25ml verjuice and set aside.
- Cut one of the beetroots in half and finely slice one of the halves, cut other in wedges. In a separate pan, make a pickling solution by combining remaining 300ml vinegar with remaining 3 bay leaves, 3 star anise, verjuice and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce by one third of the original volume. Place thin slices of beetroot in pickling solution and set aside until assembly.
- Juice remaining beetroots, raspberries and blackberries. Transfer juice to a pan along with beetroot wedges and simmer until beetroot cooked through, about 25 minutes. Set aside.
- In a hot pan, cook the seasoned duck breasts, skin side down for 1 minutes until crispy. Turn the breast over and sear for 1 minute, then place in the oven until cooked to medium, about 7 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven, remove duck from pan, reserving duck fat and set aside to rest.
- Toss 20 ml of slightly cooled duck fat and remaining 100ml verjuice through rocket. Season to taste.
- To plate, place pickled and cooked beetroot on a plate with rocket, mint, fennel fronds and sliced candy beetroot. Slice duck, place on the plate and drizzle with sauce.