Episode 30 - Mandarin, Chocolate and Walnut Ice-cream Sandwiches
Mandarin, Chocolate and Walnut Ice-cream Sandwiches
160 grams caster sugar
200 grams dark chocolate, melted
250ml cream, whipped
100 grams butter
115 grams sugar
50 grams ground walnuts
110 grams plain flour
50 grams self raising flour
100 grams cream
juice and zest of 1 mandarin
100 grams chocolate, roughly chopped
25 grams walnuts, roasted
115 grams caster sugar
Chocolate, to grate over the top
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place 6 x 6cm greased metal rings onto a paper lined baking tray
- To make the semi-freddo place eggs and sugar in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk over heat until the eggs have thickened and doubled in volume.
- Add melted chocolate to egg mixture and fold through whipped cream. Pour into prepared rings and place in freezer until set.
- For the biscuits, cream butter and sugar together in a mixer. Add egg and continue to beat until combined. Add ground walnuts, flours and stir to combine. Roll into 12 even sized balls and place on a lined tray. Bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven. Working quickly while they are still hot, use a 6cm round cutter to cut the biscuits into neat circles. Set aside to cool.
- For the ganache, place cream, mandarin juice and zest in a pan and bring to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted. Set aside.
- For the praline, sprinkle walnuts over a lined baking tray. Place sugar in a pan and melt to a golden caramel. Pour over walnuts and leave to set. Once set, transfer to a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Remove the semi-freddos from the freezer. Scoop a teaspoon of semi-freddo mixture from the middle of the rounds and fill with ganache. Place semi-freddo on top of a biscuit and place another biscuit on top to form a sandwich. Place sandwich on a plate. Sprinkle praline over the top, drizzle with ganache and finish with grated chocolate.