Episode 29 - Rockmelon Gapacho with Fennel and Prosciutto
Rockmelon Gazpacho with Fennel and Prosciutto
1 tbsp rendered pork fat
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
1 tbsp ruby grapefruit juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp honey
8 slices prosciutto
1/2 fennel bulb, finely sliced, fronds reserved
2 ruby grapefruit, segmented
basil leaves, torn
olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Using a melon baller, cut out 12 melon balls. Season with salt and pepper and freeze.
- To make the gazpacho, transfer the remaining melon to a blender and blitz until smooth. Strain into a large bowl. Add the pork fat, vinegar and grapefruit juice. Adjust seasoning and set aside in the fridge to cool.
- For the prosecco syrup, place prosecco and honey in a saucepan and reduce for 15 minutes until reduced to of original amount, like runny honey. Set aside.
- Place prosciutto on a lined baking tray. Cover with more baking paper and place another tray on top. Bake in oven until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- To assemble, place the melon balls along one side of a shallow bowl. Place the fennel, fennel fronds, grapefruit segments and basil leaves on top of the balls. Add the prosciutto and blackberry. Drizzle lightly with prosecco syrup and olive oil. Pour in melon gazpacho and drizzle syrup over the gazpacho.