Episode 25 - Duck Breast with Pumpkin Puree
Duck breast with Pumpkin Puree, Orange Carrots
250g duck bones
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, roughly chopped
3 star anise
4 cinnamon sticks
250ml veal stock and 250ml duck stock, combined
4 bay leaves
3 tbsp butter
2 radishes, thinly sliced
13 baby carrots
400g pumpkin, peeled and finely diced
30ml blood orange juice
200ml carrot juice (juice from 600g carrots)
100ml orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
4 duck breasts, skin scored
4 sprigs mint, to garnish
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a hot pan, fry the bones to caramelise. Add onion, leek, garlic, carrot, star anise and 2 cinnamon sticks and fry until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with sherry and Cointreau and cook for 5 minutes. Add 375 stock, bay leaves and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain sauce then return to a medium heat and allow to simmer and reduce until glossy and thick. Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp cream and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, to pickle the radish and carrot, in a small pan, heat verjuice with 1 cinnamon stick and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavour to infuse. Remove from heat and add radish and 1 baby carrot, thinly sliced. Set aside.
- For the pumpkin puree, combine remaining cinnamon stick, remaining 125 ml stock and 1 tbsp butter in a pan. Cook until pumpkin is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, strain, reserving cooking liquid and transfer pumpkin to blender. Add remaining 3 tbsp cream and blend until smooth, adding some reserved cooking liquid if necessary. Season and add blood orange juice. Set aside.
- Combine carrot juice, orange juice and remaining baby carrots in a pan. Set over medium heat and allow to simmer until carrots are tender. Remove carrots from the juice and set aside. Continue to simmer juice until reduced and thickened. Remove from heat, add remaining tbsp butter and season to taste. Return the carrots to the pan, toss to coat in the reduced liquid and set aside, keeping warm.
- Cook duck breasts, skin side down, in a pan set over medium-low heat until fat has rendered and skin is crispy, about 7 minutes. Turn the breasts over and cook until warmed through but still a little pink inside, about another 2 minutes. Remove from pan, cover and rest for 5 minutes then slice.
- To plate, spread pumpkin puree on plate and place duck slices onto the puree. Remove radish and baby carrot from verjuice and place on the side. Add baby carrots, drizzle with sauce and garnish with mint.