Episode 21 - Sticky Ribs with Coleslaw and Spiced Cashews
Sticky Ribs with Coleslaw and Spiced Cashews
500ml chicken stock
2 star anise
2 teaspoons sechuan peppercorns
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
65 ml tamari
zest of 1 mandarin
1.5 kg pork ribs
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoons vinegar
125ml grapeseed oil
40ml maple syrup
20ml lime juice
1 baby fennel, finely sliced
red cabbage, finely sliced
60 grams cashews
2 teaspoons hot paprika
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 4 mandarins
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Place stock, star anise, sechuan pepper, 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, tamari, zest, lemonade and 250ml water into pressure cooker, season ribs and add them to the liquid.
- Following manufacturers instructions cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. (Alternatively place same ingredients into a large baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 120C for 2 hours or until meat is tender and coming of the bone.) Set aside.
- For the mayo, blitz egg yolk, mustard and vinegar until slightly thickened. Add oil in a thin stream while processing until mayonnaise is emulsified and thickened. Add 3 teaspoons maple syrup, lime juice and season with salt.
- Place cabbage, fennel and mayo in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in fridge.
- For the spiced cashews, combine cashews, remaining maple syrup and paprika and mix until well coated. Spread out onto a paper lined baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until browned and crisp. Allow to cool then crush in a food processor to a coarse crumb.
- For the glaze, combine remaining coriander seeds, garlic and mandarin juice in a small saucepan and reduce for 10 minutes until thickened. Season to taste.
- Heat frypan over high heat and cook ribs while brushing with glaze until caramelised and sticky.
- Serve coleslaw and ribs with roasted nuts.