Episode 21 - Coconut Lime Prawns with Cucumber Soup
Coconut Lime Prawns with Cucumber Soup
120ml grapeseed oil
20 prawns, peeled, deveined, heads and shells reserved
2 limes, zested and juiced
4 garlic chives
2 continental cucumber, sliced, plus extra slices for garnish
1 tsp palm sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
160 grams shredded coconut
4 sprigs curry leaves
oil for frying
salt and pepper, to taste
- For the prawn stock, heat 20 ml grapeseed oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add prawn heads and shells and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add 250ml water, zest of one lime and garlic chives. Once the water has reduced by half, add another 500ml of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes then strain and cool.
- Meanwhile, blend cucumber with juice of 2 limes and zest lime. Blend until smooth then strain through a muslin cloth. Reserve.
- For the chilli oil, slice chilli, reserving some slices for garnish. Cook in 100ml of oil on a medium heat and allow the chilli to perfume the oil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to infuse another 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender, blend then strain and reserve.
- Combine the remaining zest and coconut. Dip prawns into seasoned flour then egg then coconut lime mix. Press coconut on firmly.
- Heat remaining oil in wok. Cook prawns for 2 minutes until golden and crisp. Add curry leaves and cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove prawns and leaves from oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix cucumber juice and prawn stock together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide curry leaves between 4 serving plates. Top with prawns and reserved chilli and cucumber soup in a side dish.