Episode 21 - Bibingka with Coconut Caramel Glaze
Bibingka with Coconut Caramel Glaze and Cucumber Pickle
Palm sugar ice cream
4 egg yolks
50 grams palm sugar, shaved
1/4 cup glutinous rice soaked in water
zest and juice of 1 lime
50 grams palm sugar, grated
40 grams shredded coconut
1 teaspoon butter
40 grams coconut
30 grams butter
20 grams palm sugar, grated
Cucumber and lime pickle
1/4 cup / 55 grams caster sugar
2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 peeled and segmented
1/2 continental cucumber, cut into 5mm dice
Coconut caramel glaze
30 grams caster sugar
20 grams shredded coconut
zest of 1 lime
- To make the palm sugar ice cream, heat cream and milk in small saucepan to just below boiling point. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and palm sugar in a medium bowl until light and pale in colour. Pour hot cream and milk into egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. Return mix to saucepan and cook over low heat until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon. Remove from heat, strain and immediately place over an ice bath to cool. Pour cooled mixture into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions. Place in freezer until serving.
- To make bibingka, place glutinous rice, 185ml water, lime juice, lime zest, palm sugar and pinch of salt into a non stick saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes until rice is soft and liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place coconut in a blender and process until fine. Add cream and pulse to combine. Transfer mixture to a non stick frypan along with cooked rice and butter. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly to break rice down into rough paste, for 10 minutes. When mixture comes together and forms a ball transfer to a greased 7 cm x 20 cm tin and press out. Refrigerate for 1 hour until set.
- To toast the coconut, place ingredients in medium frypan and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl to cool.
- To make the pickle, dissolve caster sugar and lime juice with 65ml water over medium heat. Add cucumber and lime segments into the syrup and allow to cool.
- Cut set bibingka into 4 and place on wire rack with a baking tray underneath.
- To make the coconut caramel glaze, place sugar in pan over high heat until golden. Add combined coconut and cream to caramel and whisk well. Remove from heat and spoon glaze over bibingka to coat well. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with lime zest.
- To serve, carefully transfer bibingka onto serving plates. Scatter pickle around cake. Add some toasted coconut and top with a spoonful of ice cream.