Episode 16 - Duck with Peaches Three Ways
Duck with peaches three ways
125ml white wine vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 shallot, finely sliced
2 slices prosciutto
3 peaches, cut into quarters
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Peach and carrot puree
1 shallot, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
2 peaches, peeled, stones removed, roughly chopped
2 star anise
4 duck breasts, skin scored
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground fennel
60ml white wine vinegar
1 tbsp coriander seeds
200ml walnut oil
1 peach, pureed
salt and pepper
1 fennel bulb, finely sliced, fronds reserved, refreshed in ice water bath
2 brussel sprouts, leaves picked, refreshed in ice water bath
1 peach, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the pickled shallots, bring vinegar, sugar and coriander seeds to a boil in a small saucepan and boil until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, pour over shallots and leave to pickle for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place prosciutto on a lined baking tray. Cover with a layer of baking paper, and another tray on top to press it flat. Bake until crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- For the roasted peach, place quartered peaches onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast until golden and soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the peach and carrot puree, melt butter over a medium heat and fry shallots until translucent. Add garlic, carrot and one of the peaches. Saut until soft. Add star anise, milk and water. Simmer until tender.
- Remove star anise. Transfer the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve. Add remaining peach, season and set aside.
- Place duck breasts into a cold frying pan, skin side down, and place over low heat. Cook until skin is golden brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon, fennel and salt over the other side of the breast, turn and cook, flesh side down until medium rare, about another minute. Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest.
- For the vinaigrette, mix vinegar and seeds in a bowl. Slowly add the walnut oil, whisking continuously until it thickens. Add peach puree and season.
- To assemble, place some peach and carrot puree in the middle of each plate. Slice rested duck breast on top of the puree. Drain fennel and brussel sprout leaves and scatter around the plate. Garnish with pickled shallots, crispy prosciutto roasted peach and fresh peach. Drizzle over vinaigrette and finish with fennel fronds.