Episode 13 - Seafood and Fennel Broth
Seafood and Fennel Broth with Prawn and Scallops
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 leek, roughly chopped
3 shallots, diced
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
1 bulb fennel, roughly chopped
1 potato, peeled and roughly chopped
1 sand crab or blue swimmer crab, roughly chopped
2.5 L water
1/2 sheet kombu
1/2 leek, thinly sliced
1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
12 prawns, peeled, shells reserved, prawn meat thinly sliced
1 radish, thinly sliced on mandolin
fennel, thinly sliced on mandolin
- To make the broth, heat oil in a large saucepan set over high heat. Add all ingredients except water and kombu and fry, stirring regularly, until caramelised. Add water and bring to the boil. Add Kombu and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through muslin, reserving Kombu. Repeat straining process a further two times. Set aside broth in a saucepan and keep warm.
- For the braised fennel, heat oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Add leeks and fennel and saut gently until tender, about 10 minutes. Add 250ml of reserved broth, a spoonful at a time until fennel is soft and moist and liquid has cooked off. Set aside.
- To cook the shallots for serving, place oil in saucepan and set over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add shallots and fry, stirring gently, until golden brown. Remove shallots from oil and drain on paper towel.
- To serve, heat broth to a simmer. Divide braised fennel between serving bowls. Arrange prawns and scallops around fennel. Top with fried shallots, radish, fresh fennel and thinly sliced reserved Kombu. Season with salt.
- Pour hot broth over seafood to poach and serve immediately.