Episode 11 - Spiced Duck with Sweet Potato
Spiced Duck with Sweet Potato Puree and Raspberry Jus
1 tabelspoon olive oil
250g duck bones, chopped small
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
100ml shiraz wine
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 star anise
10 sage leaves
500ml veal stock
1 tbsp blackberry conserve
250ml raspberry vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 shallot, finely sliced
Sweet Potato Puree
2 shallots, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
400 grams sweet potato
1 star anise
salt to taste
1 tablespoon grape seed oil
2 shallots, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp sugar
4 duck breasts, skin scored in a diamond pattern
60 grams / 1/4 cup pearl barley
Fried sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the jus, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Add the duck bones and fry until brown. Add shallots, carrot, celery and garlic and fry until all vegetables and bones are caramelised. Add wine and allow to boil until reduced by half. Add the cinnamon, fennel seeds, star anise and sage.
- Meanwhile, place raspberries in a bowl and mash with fork. Add half puree to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Add blackberry conserve and veal stock and allow to simmer gently until reduced by half. Strain into a clean saucepan. Add remaining half raspberry puree and stir to combine. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- To pickle the raspberries and shallots, place the raspberry vinegar, sugar and mustard seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, place raspberries and shallots in a bowl. Pour over hot vinegar and set aside.
- To make the sweet potato puree, place butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until softened. Add sweet potato and toss to coat. Add milk and star anise and allow to simmer until sweet potato is tender and milk has almost evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Process to a smooth puree. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- To cook the barley, bring 1 cup water to the boil. Add barley and cook until tender. Strain, pat dry and set aside.
- To roast the shallots, place oil and shallots in a small roasting pan and place in the oven to roast until caramelised, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, keeping warm.
- To cook the duck breasts, place cinnamon, fennel seeds, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Press spice mix to the under side of the breasts.
- Place chilled duck breasts, skin side down, in a pan and set over low heat. Cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Turn breasts and cook a further 4 minutes. Remove duck from pan and set aside to rest, reserving pan with duck fat.
- Increase heat to medium. Add cooked barley and toast until golden and crispy. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spread some sweet potato puree on each serving plate. Sprinkle with barley. Add roasted shallots and pickled raspberries and shallots. Carve each duck breast into 3 and add to the plate. Spoon jus around plate and garnish with sage leaves.