Episode 11 - Date Frozen Nougat
Date Frozen Nougat with Lemon Curd, Cumin Crumb and Cumin Praline
8 dates, stone removed
3 egg whites
110g caster sugar
200g thickened cream
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
50g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
20g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
75g caster sugar
1 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the frozen nougat, place the dates, muscat and water in a small saucepan and set over medium heat to simmer until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, roughly chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites and sugar in an electric mixer bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk mixture constantly until mixture reaches 65C. Transfer bowl to the stand and mix on high speed until mixture is thick and glossy and has cooled to room temperature.
- Whisk cream to soft peaks. Add cream to meringue mixture and fold through. Add reserved, chopped dates and fold through. Transfer mixture to 4 x 7cm wide moulds and place in the freezer until frozen, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon curd, place the lemon juice, zest, butter and sugar in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Allow to melt, stirring, until combined. Add egg and whisk constantly until curd thickens. Transfer the curd to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until set.
- To make the crumb, place the flour in a bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingers. Add cumin seeds, sugar and salt and stir to combine. Place mixture on a tray and place in the oven to bake until golden, about 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the praline, sprinkle cumin seeds on a tray. Place the sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until caramelised and golden. Pour caramelised sugar over cumin seeds. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Leave to set and break into shards. Set aside.
- To serve, sprinkle crumb over serving plates. Unmould frozen nougat by running sharp knife around inside of mould and arrange on the plates. Pipe dots of lemon curd onto the plate and add praline shards.