Episode 1 - Gnocchi Napolitano
800g Desiree potatoes
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp grappa
2 1/2 cups OO flour
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
4 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
8 ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
5 sage leaves, finely chopped
1/2 bunch basil, finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary
1 dried bay leaf, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
parmesan, shaved, for serving
- To make the gnocchi, peel potatoes and place them into a pot of boiling salted water. Allow to cook until tender but not falling apart. Remove from heat and strain.
- Put cooked potatoes through a ricer (or mash) into a bowl. Add egg, sugar and grappa and stir to combine.Sift in flour, gradually, combining until a dough like consistency forms. Roll out into thin logs on a lightly floured surface, cut into 2cm sized pieces and set aside.
- To make the sauce, place olive oil and butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat to melt. Add garlic, onion and celery and cook until soft. Add tomato and herbs, season and allow to simmer, stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add gnocchi and allow to cook until gnocchi pieces float to the surface. Allow gnocchi to float for a minute and then remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the gnocchi.
- Drizzle sauce with olive oil and adjust seasoning.
- To serve, divide gnocchi between bowls. Add sauce and top with parmesan.