Episdoe 31 - Figs with Cheese and Honey Parfait
Figs with Cheese and Honey Parfait, Smokey Snow and Apple Caramel
50g kaiserflesch, roughly chopped
3 star anise
2 egg yolks
55g blue cheese
2 teaspoons rosemary, leaves removed and roasted until crispy
60 grams pecans, toasted
250 ml apple juice or 450 grams green apples, juiced and strained
2 tbsp cream
8 figs, 4 quartered, 2 sliced, 2 halved
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the smokey snow, combine kaiserflesch, milk and star anise in a saucepan and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse flavours for 20 minutes. Strain into a shallow tray and set aside in freezer for 30 minutes. Remove milk mix from freezer and using a fork, scrape through the milk mixture. Return to the freezer. Repeat twice again every 15 minutes until you have the texture of a granita.
- For the parfait, whisk the yolks over a pot of simmering water until thick and creamy. Mix honey and cheese together and add to the egg mixture. Whisk cream to soft peaks and fold into the egg mixture. Place into the freezer to set.
- For the crumb, combine sugar, flour and butter in a food processor until it forms a dough. Roll out dough to 1cm thick and place on a baking tray. Place in oven and bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Place cooked biscuit dough, rosemary leaves and pecans in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- For the caramel, place the apple juice in a small pan and reduce for 15 minutes or until dark and sticky. Add cream, stir to combine and remove from heat.
- To assemble, place crumb on the bottom of the plate and garnish with figs. Place a large spoonful of parfait on the crumb, top with smokey snow and drizzle with caramel.