Ep 9 - Tenderised Octopus with Parsley Farfelle
EP 9 Sarah Todd
Tenderised Octopus with Parsley Farfelle
1/2 small bunch parsley, washed
100 grams flour
1 eggs plus 2 yolks
1 tablespoon verjuice
160 ml grape seed oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
800 grams octopus, tenderised and dipped in flour and cut into 2cm pieces
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
60 grams caper berries
1/2 pear (about 130 grams), cut into matchsticks
1 umeboshi, seed removed and thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1. To make chlorophyll, place parsley, salt and 1/2 cup water in a blender and process until it forms a bight green liquid. Transfer to a saucepan, place over low heat and stir until green particles rise to the surface. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl of ice. Once cool, strain, reserving green particles and discarding water.
2. Place egg in a bowl, add chlorophyll and whisk to combine. Add flour and stir to form a dough. Knead dough and place in fridge to rest.
3. Meanwhile to make the mayonnaise, place egg yolks and verjuice in a food processor and process to combine. With the processor running, slowly add grape seed oil until mayonnaise is smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Remove rested dough from fridge. Roll out and press into farfalle. Place farfalle into water and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Place a frypan over high heat. Add olive oil and heat. Season octopus and add to hot oil just until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add balsamic, capers and chopped parsley and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
6. To serve, transfer the octopus to a plate, add farfalle , mayonnaise, pear and umeboshi. Season to taste.