Ep 71 - Roast Pheasant with Peas, Shallots & Salsify
Roast Pheasant with Peas, Shallots & Salsify
100g butter, softened
1 bunch tarragon, large leaves picked
1 single-bulb garlic
1 cup plain flour
8-9 black garlic cloves
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
8 eschalots, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup flat pancetta, cut into lardons
1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbs crème fraiche
1 cup frozen green peas
6 baby cos lettuce hearts
1/4 cup tarragon leaves
1 cup chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 180�C. To roast on the crown, take
the pheasant and remove the neck, wings (leaving the first wing
bone attached to the crown), legs and back of the carcass. Chop the
carcass bones finely to use as trivets.
2. To make the tarragon butter, mix the softened butter, 1/3 cup tarragon leaves, salt and pepper, garlic and juice of half a lemon together in a bowl. Separate the skin and flesh of the pheasant by gently pushing your finger between the two and spreading the tarragon butter down the breast and pushing some butter in between.
3. Season breast and cavity with salt and pepper. Place 2 lemon wedges, garlic and remaining tarragon in cavity of bird.
4. Heat oil in hot frying pan and seal the pheasant on both sides of the breasts, with breast facing the edge of the pan to colour the skin. Add the chopped carcass bones, basting as you go. Place the bird on top of bones (trivets) and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
5. The pheasant is ready when you touch the breast and it bounces back again. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
6. To prepare the salsify add some water with the juice of half a lemon in a large bowl to prevent the salsify from going brown. Cut the stems from the root then peel the skin off keeping the shape of the salsify and place straight into the water.
7. Prepare a blanc by placing 500ml water and raining in 1/2 the flour, whisking as you go. Add half a lemon, squeezing the juice in first. Place the salsify in the blanc and place a cartouche on top and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until tender. Cool down, leaving in the blanc to keep nice and white.
8. Peel the black garlic by gently removing the skin. Heat a heavy-based frying pan and add olive oil and butter. Sauté eschalots for a couple of minutes and then add lardons. Rinse salsify and drain on paper towel then place in pan. Sauté for a few minutes until coloured, then add black garlic and thyme. Add the chicken stock and reduce by half. Add crème fraiche and stir until melted. Lastly, add peas and baby cos hearts, cover with lid and leave for a couple of minutes. Serve with the pheasant.
9. To serve, return the pheasant pan to the heat and add butter and tarragon, basting pheasant as you go. Lift out the pheasant and slice breast off the breast bone. The pheasant should be slightly pink. Place pheasant breast on the plate with 3 cos on each along with 3 salsify then spoon over the peas, eschalots, lardons and black garlic.