Ep 7 - Chocolate Mousse Tart with Salted Caramel
EP 7 Nick, Georgia, Emilia (Red Team)
Chocolate Mousse Tart with Salted Caramel
Makes one 24 cm tart
125 grams plain flour
65 grams unsalted butter, diced
1 ½ tablespoons icing sugar
zest ½ lemon
1 egg yolk
½ cup caster sugar
75 grams 70% dark chocolate, melted
50 grams milk chocolate, melted
2 eggs, separated
150 ml thickened cream
1 titanium gelatine leaf, softened in water
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sugar
100 grams butter
400 ml cream
2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
½ cup (30g) hazelnuts, toasted and skin removed
1/4 cup caster sugar
mascarpone to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and butter in a food processor and process until coarse crumbs. Add salt, sugar and lemon zest and process until combined. Add egg yolk then enough cold water (about 1 tablespoon) to form a dough. Transfer the dough to a floured bench, knead lightly, wrap in plastic and set aside in the fridge 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from fridge, roll out thinly and line a 24cm tart tin. Freeze for 10 minutes. Blind bake in the oven for 10 minutes, remove weights and continue baking until golden, about another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile to make the mousse, place egg yolks in a small bowl. Place sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow mixture to boil until it reaches 121C. Remove from heat immediately and slowly add to egg yolks while constantly whisking. Add gelatine leaf to the yolks and sugar and stir to combine.
- Place egg whites in a bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar/yolk mixture while constantly whisking. Continue whisking until mixture has cooled and firm peaks have formed, about 7 minutes.
- Place melted chocolate in a bowl, fold through egg white mixture. Whip cream until soft peaks form and fold through chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into cooled tart shell and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the salted caramel, place sugar in a frypan and place over medium heat. Allow sugar to boil until caramel colour, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, cream and salt and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the praline dust, spread hazelnuts on a paper lined tray. Place sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow to boil, without stirring, until sugar is golden, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over prepared hazelnuts. Allow to cool then transfer to a food processor and process until a fine crumb. Set aside.
- To serve, slice tart and serve with salted caramel, praline dust and a dollop of mascarpone.