Ep 7 - Carrot, coriander and ginger dumplings
Carrot, coriander and ginger dumplings with crispy
chicken thigh and duck and chicken stock reduction
by Andrew Henderson
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 chicken thigh pieces, bone in, skin on
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2cm piece ginger, sliced
1 star anise
Duck and chicken stock reduction:
1 chicken carcass
Reserved thigh bones
2 chicken wings
500ml duck stock
3 star anise
2cm piece ginger
2 eschallots, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
4 coriander roots, scraped
2cm piece ginger, julienne
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup celery leaves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 egg yolk
16 round gow gee wonton wrappers
200g shitake mushrooms, to serve
Micro coriander leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200 C.
2. For marinade, debone thighs and reserve bones for stock. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and marinate for 10 minutes.
3. For stock, place chicken carcass, thigh bones and wings in a greased oven dish and roast for 30 minutes or until deeply golden. Pour off chicken fat from the bottom of the baking dish and reserve. Transfer bones to a large saucepan and add stock, water, star anise, ginger and shallots. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until reduced to a thick broth. Strain and
reserve sliced shallots.
4. Heat reserved chicken fat in a small frying pan over a high heat. Add reserved shallot slices and panfry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden.
5. Heat a large non stick frying pan over a high heat, add chicken thighs and marinade and panfry for 7- 8 minutes or until chicken is crispy. Set aside and slice to serve.
6. For dumplings, heat oil in a large sauté pan, add carrot, coriander root, ginger and water and sweat for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool.
7. Place coriander and celery leaves, soy sauce and egg in a food processor with cooled carrot mixture. Process until finely chopped.
8. Place a teaspoonful of dumpling mixture into the centre of a wonton wrapper, brush edges with water, fold wrapper over to create a half moon shape and press edges together gently to seal, pleating one side if desired. Repeat with remaining dumpling mixture.
9 Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, add dumplings and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wrappers have softened and cooked through.
10 To serve, place 1-2 cups of stock in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add shitake mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Arrange 3 dumplings and 3-4 pieces of crispy
chicken in a serving bowl, ladle in stock and mushrooms and garnish with caramelised shallots, whole star anise, cinnamon and micro coriander.