Ep 54 - Chicken with Cauliflower
Chicken with Cauliflower 3 Ways
1 x 1.6kg chicken
4 tablespoons grape seed oil
1 cauliflower (about 800 grams), broken into small florets
100 mls vinegar
100 grams sugar plus a pinch
10 threads saffron
300 mls milk
80 grams butter
3 brussel sprouts, outer leaves picked
2 teaspoons lemon juice
20 mls cream
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To prepare the chicken, remove chicken crown from rest of carcass. Remove skin from both legs. Reserve remaining chicken for another use.
- Place crown in a roasting tray. Drizzle crown with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven to roast until cooked through, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven, remove chicken from hot roasting pan, cover and set aside to rest. Reserve roasting pan for making sauce.
- Place chicken skin flat on a paper lined tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt. Cover with another layer of baking paper and another tray and place in the oven until golden and crispy, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile ,place vinegar, 100 grams sugar and saffron in a saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to boil until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat add ¼ cauliflower florets and set aside to pickle.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan and set over high heat. Add ¼ cauliflower florets and fry until golden. Remove from heat, season and set aside.
- Place remaining half of cauliflower florets in a saucepan with milk and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain, reserving liquid.
- Transfer cooked cauliflower to a blender, add 50 grams butter and process to a smooth puree, adding cooking liquid if necessary. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add brussel sprout leaves and cook until bright green. Remove from boiling water and place in an ice bath to cool.
- To make the dressing, place 1 teaspoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon grape seed oil and pinch sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove brussel sprout leaves from water, dry and place in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat leaves.
- Drain excess fat from chicken roasting pan and set over high heat. Add 100 mls water and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and stir and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze. Add remaining 30 grams butter and cream. Strain and season.
- To serve, spread a spoonful of cauliflower puree on each serving plate. Slice chicken breasts and add to plates. Add some roasted and pickled cauliflower and some brussel sprout salad. Drizzle with sauce and garnish with crispy skin. Season with salt and pepper.