Ep 49 - Chicken, Cauliflower and Herb Emulsion
EP 49 Jamie
Chicken, Cauliflower and Herb Emulsion
340 grams / 4 purple carrots, peeled and cut into quarters lengthways
1 bunch parsley, leaves picked
1 cup / 30 basil leaves
2 tablespoon fennel fronds
4 stalks thyme, picked
2 tablespoons ricotta
2 tablespoons mascarpone
4 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
195 mls grape seed oil
4 x 180 grams chicken thigh fillets, skin on
400 grams cauliflower, cut into florets, inner leaves reserved
135 grams butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from water and place in iced water.
3. Add the parsley, basil, fennel and thyme leaves to the boiling water and cook just until bright green. Remove from water and refresh in ice water. Drain and squeeze in kitchen paper to dry.
4. Place herbs in small food processor. Add ricotta, mascarpone, 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, 125 mls grape seed oil and salt, to taste, and process until completely smooth and combined. Set aside.
5. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place 40 mls (2 tablespoons) grape seed oil in a large oven proof frypan and set over medium high heat. Add the chicken breast, skin side down and cook until caramelised. Turn chicken over and place in the oven to cook through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven, cover and set aside chicken to rest.
6. Set aside half cauliflower florets. Place other half in a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
7. Place 100 mls water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Slowly add 100 grams butter, a little at a time, while whisking, until fully emulsified. Set aside half raw cauliflower crumbs for serving and add remaining to the emulsified butter and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, strain, reserving emulsified butter, and set aside.
8. Place smallest cauliflower leaves in the reserved emulsified butter and set aside.
9. Slice remaining half of cauliflower florets into1.5cm thick slices. Add remaining 30 mls (1 1/2 tablespoons) grape seed oil to frypan and set over medium high heat. Add the cauliflower slices and cook until tender and caramelised on both sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Remove carrot from iced water. Place remaining 35 grams butter and 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add carrot and cook, basting, until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
11. To serve, place 3 spoonfuls of herb emulsion onto each serving plate. Cut rested chicken into bite size pieces and place on the plate. Add caramelised cauliflower slices. Scatter with raw and cooked cauliflower crumb. Add drained leaves and carrot and season with salt and pepper.