Ep 49 - Apples and Grapes with Toasted Almond Crumb
EP 49 Ben
Apples and Grapes with Toasted Almond Crumb
145 grams sugar
2 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons butter
2 Pink Lady apples, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 2-3cm dice
2 tablespoons yuzu juice
4 seedless grapes, cut into 6 segments lengthways
150 ml verjuice
50 grams almonds, toasted and finely sliced plus more for garnish
50 grams pepitas, toasted
1 teaspoon brown sugar
20 grams 90 percent dark chocolate, grated plus more for garnish
3 egg yolks
salt, to taste
1. Place 100 grams sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to cook until a dark caramel colour. Remove from heat, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, cream, 2 tablespoons butter and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
2. Place remaining tablespoon butter in a frypan and set over high heat. Add the Pink Lady apple and 15 grams ( 1 tablespoon) sugar and fry until lightly caramelised. Remove from heat and drain off juices. Set aside.
3. Place the Granny Smith pieces and yuzu juice in a bowl, toss and set aside until ready to use.
4. Place the grape segments and 30 ml verjuice in a bowl, toss and set aside until ready to use.
5. To make the crumble, place almonds, pepitas, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon grated chocolate in a bowl and stir to combine.
6. Place remaining 120 mls verjuice and remaining 30 grams (2 tablespoons) sugar in a saucepan, set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks in a bowl and lightly whisk. Add¼boiling verjuice to the eggs while constantly whisking. Return the mixture to the remaining verjuice and continue to cook over low heat, stirring, until mixture thickens into thin ribbons.
7. To serve, place a line of caramel on each serving plate followed by a line of caramelised apple. Add some yuzu apple and verjuice grapes. Sprinkle with crumble. Add a drizzle of thickened verjuice. Grate some chocolate and almond over to garnish.