Ep 44 - Chicken and Apricot Curry
EP 44 Amy Shields
Chicken and Apricot Curry
4 x 180 gram chicken breasts, skin removed and reserved
120 grams butter
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/8's
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, toasted and ground
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 whole red chilli, finely chopped
1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped with a few leaves set aside for garnish
1/3 cup apricot nectar
80 grams dried apricot halves, soaked in water and roughly chopped
1/3 cup thickened cream
60 grams pine nuts, toasted
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and top with 30 grams butter each. Wrap tightly in plastic, to shape into a round, then wrap then vacuum seal in individual bags.
3. Sous vide chicken in sous vide machine or on stove top with water at 60C until cooked through, about 35 minutes. Remove chicken from water and set aside.
4. Place tomato pieces on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and place in the oven to roast until caramelised, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Place the coriander, cumin and fenugreek seeds in a frypan and set over medium heat to toast. Once fragrant transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush.
6. Place reserved chicken skin on a paper lined tray and sprinkle with some of the crushed spices and salt. Top with another piece of baking paper and another baking tray. Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove top baking tray and baking paper and continue to cook until golden and crisp, about another 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
7. To make the sauce, place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until translucent. Add remaining crushed spices, turmeric and chilli and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add reserved roasted tomato, apricots, apricot nectar and 3 tablespoons water and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add chopped coriander, season with salt and cook a further minute.
8. Divide sauce in half. Set aside one half, keeping warm. Transfer other half to a food processor, add cream and process to a fine puree.
9. Remove chicken breasts from bags, unwrap and slice.
10. To serve, place sliced chicken breast on plate with sauce, puree, and crispy skin. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and coriander leaves. Season with salt and pepper.