Ep 42 - Spotted dick with custard
Spotted Dick with Custard
MasterClass with Gary Mehigan
1 1/2 cups (225g) self raising flour
1 1/2 cups (105g) fresh white breadcrumbs
1 cup (135g) prepared suet mix
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
Finely grated rind and juice of one lemon
Finely grated rind and juice of one orange
1/3 cup green raisins
1/3 cup semi dried sour cherries
1/3 cup currants
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 tablespoons barberries
2 tablespoons mixed peel
1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup, plus extra to serve
2 cups milk
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
8 egg yolks
100g castor sugar
30g corn flour
1. Grease and line the base of a 5 cup-capacity pudding basin. Sift flour into a large bowl and mix with breadcrumbs, suet mix and sugar. Combine dried fruits and mixed peel in a separate bowl and add 1 cup to flour mixture, reserving remaining fruit. Add lemon and orange rind and juices and mix to combine.
2. Whisk together eggs and milk in a separate bowl or jug. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
3. Pour fruit into base of prepared basin and pour over golden syrup. Spoon pudding mixture into basin. Make a pleat in centre of a sheet of baking paper and a sheet of foil, to allow for expansion during steaming. Cover basin with paper, then foil and secure with kitchen string. Alternately, use the pudding lid to seal.
4. Place an upturned heatproof saucer in base of a large saucepan as a trivet. Place pudding basin on trivet. Pour enough water into pan to come halfway up side of basin. Cover. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low. Steam, covered, for 2 hrs, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove basin from pan and cool for 15 mins.
5. For custard, pour milk into a saucepan, add vanilla bean and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and strain.
6. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Add cornflour and mix to combine. Pour in vanilla milk and whisk to combine. Return to saucepan and cook over a medium heat until thick. Set to one side.
7. Turn pudding out onto a plate and drizzle over extra golden syrup. Cut into slices and serve with a dollop of custard.