Ep 42 - Pumpkin Tart with Fried Cheese Sandwiches
Pumpkin Tart with Fried Cheese Sandwiches
By Callum and Skye
2 cups plain flour
200g unsalted butter, chopped
2 cups (260g) 2cm diced pumpkin
2 tbs olive oil
2 brown onions, finely sliced
50ml balsamic vinegar
100g goat's cheese
150ml thickened cream
mixed salad leaves, to serve
2 mozzarella balls, cut into 5mm slices
120g goats cheese, sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for frying
1. Preheat oven to 200C and grease a 35cm-long x 13cm-wide
x 3cm-deep, fluted tart pan.
2. Add flour and butter to a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1 of the eggs and pulse until the mixture comes together. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and bake for about 15-20 minutes until just tender.
4. Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the vinegar and cook for a further 30 minutes until caramelised, stirring regularly.
5. Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper. Line the tart pan with pastry, then baking paper and pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights, then return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden, crisp and dry. Scatter pumpkin over the base of the tart, top with caramelized onions and crumble over goat's cheese. Lightly whisk remaining eggs and cream, season well with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the tart case. Bake tart for 20 minutes until golden and set.
6. For the cheese sandwiches, trim the mozzarella slices into 3 x 7cm rectangles. Sandwich a slice of goats cheese in between 2 slices of mozzarella. Press together firmly. Dip sandwich in egg, then breadcrumbs.
7. Meanwhile, add enough oil to a frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. In batches, fry the sandwiches for 1 minute until golden. Drain well on paper towel. Season with salt.
8. To serve, slice tart into 8 pieces. Place a slice onto serving plates with a cheese sandwich and mixed salad leaves.