Ep 42 - Pork Scratchings
EP 42 Sarah Todd
300 grams 1 cm thick pork skin, cut into 3 mm wide strips
2 cloves garlic
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
145 ml olive oil
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons butter
4 sweet corn
parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add pork skin pieces and blanch for 1 minute. Remove from water and place on a rack set on a large, shallow baking tray. Place in the oven to cook, pouring fat away as necessary, until fat has rendered and skin is crispy, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Place the garlic cloves on the tray in the oven to roast until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, peel.
4. To make aioli, place the roasted garlic, egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add the olive oil, while whisking, until well combined and aioli is thick. Season with salt. Set aside.
5. Place pumpkin seeds in a bowl, add a tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer seeds to an oven tray and place in the oven to roast until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
6. Place paprika and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Rub butter on corn and sprinkle with paprika mix. Place a griddle pan over high heat. Place corn on the pan to cook until soft and slightly charred, about 10-12 minutes.
7. To serve, remove pork from oven, season and place on the plates. Add corn, top with aioli and finely chopped parsley. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.