Ep 42 - Goats' Cheese and Rosemary Arancini
Goats' Cheese and Rosemary Arancini
By Marion and Sharnee
2 cups jasmine rice, washed and drained
1 cup (100g) grated mozzarella
200g goats cheese
1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed, finely chopped
100g goats cheese, cut into small cubes
1 cup plain flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for frying
basil sprigs, to serve
1/2 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 basil stalks, finely chopped
4 cans whole peeled tomatoes, 1 can drained
1 rosemary sprig
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1. Bring 1L of water and rice to the boil in a saucepan with a tightly fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and cook with lid on for about 10 minutes until the water has absorbed. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Combine the mozzarella, half of the goat's cheese and rosemary in a bowl. Add the rice to the bowl and mix until combined and the cheeses have melted. Season well with salt. Place in fridge for 10 minutes until cool.
2. For the tomato sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and basil and cook for about 2 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes and rosemary and cook for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove rosemary sprig, then add the cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to cool slightly and puree in a blender until smooth.
3. For the basil oil, puree all of the ingredients in a food processor. Season to taste. Strain through a muslin cloth. Set aside.
4. Divide the arancini mixture into 16 and form into patties. Cut the remaining goat's cheese into small cubes. Place a piece of goat's cheese inside each patty and enclose the rice mixture around it. Set up 3 bowls; 1 with flour, 1 with eggs and 1 with breadcrumbs. Dust each patty with flour, dip into the eggs, then coat in breadcrumbs.
5. Meanwhile, add enough oil to a large frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. In batches, fry the patties for about 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Season with salt.
6. Serve arancini with tomato sauce, basil oil and basil sprigs.