Ep 42 - George's minestrone
MasterClass by George Calombaris
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 pearl onions, whole
6 small cloves garlic, peeled
� cup swede, diced
� cup celeriac, peeled and diced
100g thin carrots, peeled and sliced on an angle
80g fennel, diced
40g celery, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 bouquet garni
2L chicken stock
2 tomatoes, peeled and cored
3 tablespoons white quinoa
1 zucchini, diced
50g canned cannellini beans, drained
1 10x10cm piece muslin cloth
2-3 bay leaves
4-6 parsley stalks
4-6 sprigs oregano
6 sprigs thyme
2 cups plain flour
� teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 head garlic, roasted
Ciabatta, thinly sliced
extra virgin olive oil
Zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
1. For soup, heat oil in a large saucepan, add onions, garlic, swede, celeriac, carrots , fennel and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook out for 1 minute.
2. For bouquet garni, lay out muslin and arrange aromatics on top. Bring edges together and tie with a piece of kitchen string.
3. Pour chicken stock into the soup saucepan and add bouquet garni, tomatoes and quinoa. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add zucchini and cannellini beans for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
4. For spaetzle, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Sieve flour and salt into a bowl. Add egg, half the milk and mix to combine. Continue to add milk until it forms a thick batter. Work batter for 1 minute until batter becomes stretchy.
5. Spread the dough thinly over a small wooden paddle. Dip it briefly in the boiling water and remove, holding it over the pot of water. Use a knife or palette knife to cut and scrape off slivers of
dough and let them drop into the water to cook. Allow spaetzle to come to rise to the top, about 2 minutes. Drain well and toss with a little olive oil.
6. For garlic bread, toast slices of bread stick under a hot grill. Drizzle toasts with extra virgin olive oil and spread with a clove of roasted garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with lemon zest, chopped parsley a drizzle of olive oil and parmesan.