Ep 30 - Blue eye trevalla and mussel curry with paratha bread
Blue eye trevalla and mussel curry with paratha bread
MasterClass with Gary Mehigan
1/3 cup peanut oil
1 tablespoon green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
5-6 Kashmiri chillies
3 cinnamon quills
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon mace
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 brown onions, finely sliced
1 head garlic, most cloves peeled
5-6cm piece ginger, peeled
1-2cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoon palm sugar
1/2 tablespoon tamarind, soaked in � cup boiling water
1 cup chicken stock
20 curry leaves
1 side blue eye trevalla, skin removed and flesh 3cm diced
8 blue lipped mussels, scrubbed and debearded
Juice of one lime
10 curry leaves, extra for garnish
1 tablespoon roughly chopped coriander
1/2 cup coconut cream
Fried onions and coriander leaves, to garnish
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over a medium high heat and add cardamom, chilli, cinnamon, cloves, mace and fennel seeds and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In the chopper attachment of a stick blender, process garlic, ginger, turmeric and water to a fine paste.
3. Add onions to stockpot and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Add cumin, coriander, chilli powder and cook out for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add palm sugar and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in strained tamarind water and stock and bring to the boil, simmer 20 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low, add fish and turn over so each piece is coated in sauce. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add mussels and simmer for 3 minutes or until fish is cooked through and mussels are open.
6. Finish curry with lime juice, extra curry leaves, coriander and coconut cream, stirring to combine.
7. To serve, spoon curry into a serving dish, garnish with fried onions and coriander leaves and paratha bread on the side.
3 cups wholemeal Atta flour
40g butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
1 tablespoon fenugreek, ground in mortar and pestle
Peanut oil, for frying
1. Add flour, butter, milk and salt into a large bowl and using fingertips, mix until it forms a dough. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for 3 minutes or until smooth.
2. Divide dough into 8 pieces, roll into balls and rest, covered in cling film for 30 minutes. Roll out each piece to 2-3mm thick, sprinkle with combined sesame seeds and ground fenugreek.
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and pan fry bread for 2-3 minutes on each side until bubbles appear and they become crisp and golden.