Ep 3 - Spiced Smoked Salmon with Pumpkin and Carrot Puree
EP 3 Jamie Fleming
Spiced Smoked Salmon with Pumpkin and Carrot Puree
¼ cup Greek style yoghurt
1 tablespoon horseradish cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley
salt, to taste
3 small radishes
¼ cup caster sugar
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
salt, to taste
Pumpkin and Carrot Puree
100g butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
50 grams butter
salt and pepper, to taste
Spiced Smoked Salmon
4 x 150 gram salmon, tail end, about 2 cm thick, skin on
3 star anise
¼ teaspoon sechuan peppercorns
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rice
Snow pea sprouts, trimmed
Preheat oven to 180C.
- For horseradish yoghurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and season to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the pickled radish, slice radish thinly and place in small bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat then pour over radish. Set aside in refrigerator.
- For salmon, remove skin from fillet and place skin on lined baking tray. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and cover with another baking tray. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove top tray and baking paper and continue cooking until crisp, about another 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- For Pumpkin puree, add all ingredients, except butter, into a medium baking dish and toss well. Cover with foil and cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and add butter. Process with a stick blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve and season to taste. Set aside.
- Place spices, sugar, and rice into a small bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to a foil lined wok. Place wire rack in wok, cover with a lid and place over high heat. Once mix begins to smoke, place salmon on rack and cover. Cook until still a little pink inside, about 5 minutes or to your liking.
- To serve, divide puree between plates. Top with salmon and crisped skin. Garnish with radish pickle, snow pea sprouts and horseradish yoghurt.