Ep 24 - Walnut Crusted Sardines
EP 24 Brenton Owens
Walnut Crusted Sardines with Curds and Whey
½ cup yoghurt
½ cup milk
1 (450 grams) sweet potato, cut into thin discs
1 bunch kale, leaves & stems separated, stems chopped
1 tablespoon goji berries, rehydrated in hot water for 25 minutes, drained
8 sardines, head and spine removed
1 cup walnuts, toasted and crushed
¼ cup wholemeal flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Place milk in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once milk begins to simmer, add yoghurt and stir gently until curds form. Remove from heat and strain whey into a clean saucepan, reserving curds.
- Place saucepan of whey over medium heat, add 2/3 the sweet potato and allow to simmer until sweet potato is soft. Remove from heat, remove sweet potato from whey and pass through a sieve. Add rehydrated goji berries and stir to combine, season and set aside.
- Place 3 stems kale in the oven and cook until completely black. Remove, crush and pass through a sieve to make a dust. Set aside.
- Place remaining sweet potato discs in oven and cook until brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place oil in frypan set over medium heat, add kale stems and fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Place egg in a small bowl and lightly whisk. Place crushed walnuts and flour in a small bowl and stir to combine. Dip sardines in egg then in nut mixture and then repeat to form double coating.
- Return frypan to medium heat, add oil and when hot, add sardines and fry until golden and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- To serve, place sardines on the plate with sweet potato puree, roasted sweet potato disc, curds and kale stems. Sprinkle with kale dust and season.