Ep 19 - Crisp Prawns
EP 19 Renae Smith
Crisp Prawns with Poached Scallop and Green Curry Sauce
400 ml coconut cream
2 gram agar agar
zest and juice 1 lime
1 teaspoon palm sugar
8 green chilli
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 x 4cm piece galangal
2 stalk lemon grass
2 bunch coriander
1 bunch basil
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
400 ml coconut milk
12 prawns, peeled, heads and shells reserved
12 rice paper sheets, soaked in water until soft
- Heat oil in deep fryer or saucepan to 180C.
- Place 200 ml coconut cream, lime zest, ½ teaspoon palm sugar and agar agar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to simmer until agar agar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge to set.
- Place the green chilli, garlic, galangal, lemon grass, coriander, basil, tamarind paste, remaining ½ teaspoon palm sugar, fish sauce, coconut oil, and lime juice in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Transfer ¼ paste to a bowl, add peeled prawns, stir to coat and set aside.
- Place remaining ¾ paste in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until fragrant, add coconut milk, remaining 200 ml coconut cream, reserved prawn heads and shells and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove prawns from paste and wrap each one tightly in a softened rice paper sheet. Place wrapped prawns in deep fryer and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Remove curry sauce from heat, strain into a clean saucepan and return to a low heat. Add the scallops and poach until cooked, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide curry sauce and scallops between bowls. Add deep fried prawns and garnish with set coconut cream.