Ep 17 - Meatloaf gourmet burger with onion rings
Meatloaf gourmet burger with eschalot onion rings
by George Calombaris
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
400g beef mince
1 cup cooked wild rice
2 tbs baby capers
2-3 tbs shredded parsley
1 tbs seeded mustard
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp bonito flakes
2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
8 thin slices jamon or prosciutto
8 cornichons, sliced
8 baby cocktail onions, quartered
Mixed micro herbs, such as baby chervil, baby watercress or shiso, to garnish
Sesame seed bun soil
1 sesame seed bun, halved, toasted
1 sachet (5g) ground bonito flakes
1 tsp brown sugar
Slow roasted tomatoes
100g yellow grape tomatoes, halved
100g grape tomatoes, halved
1 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
Beetroot & feta dip
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
100g crumbled feta
Beer battered eschalotrings
75g self raising flour, sifted
75g corn flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 large (90g) ecshalots, sliced into 5mm rings
vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 100 C.
2. For the sesame seed buns oil, place toasted bun wrapped in clingfilm in a freezer for 2 hours or until frozen. Process bonito flakes, sugar, sea salt and frozen bun in a food processor for 2-3 minutes or until mixture resembles wet sand.
3. For the slow roasted tomatoes, lay tomatoes on a lined baking tray. Scatter over thyme and sea salt. Place in the oven for 40 minutes. Increase oven to 160C.
4. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Cook 4 of the eggs for 8 minutes, remove from the pan and run under cold water for 1 minute. Peel eggs while still warm. Place eggs in fridge until needed.
5. Combine mince, breadcrumbs, rice, capers, parsley, mustard, sugar, bonito flakes, 2 eggs and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Season with sea salt. Place a 45cm piece of baking paper on a clean work surface. Lay the jamon or prosciutto in the centre, with each piece slightly overlapping. Evenly spread the mince mixture over the prosciutto slices, leaving a 4cm border along the furthest side of the slices.
6. Slice 5mm off the top and bottom of each boiled egg, discard the slices. Place boiled eggs side by side with the cut edges touching, in the centre of the mince mixture. Starting at the closest edge, roll to form a tight log. Lay out a large piece of cling film and tightly wrap the meatloaf. Place wrapped meat loaf inside a food saver bag (cut to size), vacuum seal both ends using a food saver, following manufacturer's instructions.
7. Heat a large saucepan of water to 68 C. Cook meatloaf for 40 minutes. Remove and place in the refrigerator to cool.
8. Meanwhile for the beetroot and feta dip, drizzle the beetroot with olive oil and season with sea salt. Individually wrap beetroot in foil. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer easily pierces the beetroot. Allow to cool. Peel the skin and discard. Puree flesh in a blender until smooth. Add the feta and a drizzle of olive oil and puree until smooth. Season to taste. Spoon mixture into a piping bag with a small straight-edged nozzle. Set aside until needed.
9. For the beer battered eschalot rings, combine flours, bicarbonate soda and sea salt in a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Whisking, gradually add the beer until the batter is smooth. Toss eschalots rings in the extra cornflour, shaking off any excess. Pour oil into a saucepan until one-third full. Heat over medium-high heat until oil reaches 170 C. Place rings in the batter and deep-fry, in batches, for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel and season with sea salt.
10. Remove meatloaf from the bag, slice into 3cm pieces and remove the plastic wrap. Drizzle one side of the slice with olive oil and season with sea salt.
11. To serve, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the cocktail onions and cornichons. Pipe small mounds of beetroot dip around a large plate, place meatloaf slice, oil side up, in the centre. Arrange tomatoes, cornichons, cocktail onions, and 2 heaped tablespoons of sesame seed bun soil over half of the meatloaf. Garnish with micro herbs and onion rings around the plate.