Ep 14 - Strawberries and Cream
EP 14 Brenton Owens
Strawberries and Cream
3 punnets ( 750 grams) strawberries, stems removed
270 grams caster sugar
100 ml white wine
4 tablespoons agar agar
1 tablespoons rosewater
1/3 cup pistachio nuts, crushed
½ cup blueberries
1 cup cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 80C.
- Finely slice 4 strawberries and place on paper lined baking tray. Place in oven and bake until dehydrated, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place 500 grams strawberries, 20 grams caster sugar and white wine in a bowl and place over a saucepan of water set over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat and pour through a sieve lined with 2 layers muslin. Set aside.
- To make the strawberry jelly, place 150 caster sugar and 300 ml water in a saucepan, set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add agar agar and boil for 5 minutes. Remove form heat and pass through a fine strainer. Add reserved, cooked strawberry liquid, 2 teaspoons rosewater, mix well and pour into a 18cm x 36 cm shallow baking tray and refrigerate until set.
- To make the praline, place 60 grams caster sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan set over low heat. Heat until sugar reaches 130C and is light golden in colour. Pour a very thin layer onto baking paper. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon crushed pistachio nuts and set aside to harden.
- Chop remaining strawberries and place in a bowl. Add blueberries, 20 grams sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons rosewater. Stir and set aside to mascerate.
- Place cream, in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks are starting to form. Continue whisking while slowly adding remaining 20 grams caster sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk until soft peaks form.
- To serve, lightly crush half of praline and break other half into shards. Remove strawberry jelly from fridge and slice. Place a spoonful crushed praline to the centre of each plate. Top with whipped cream and a slice of strawberry jelly. Repeat twice. Sprinkle with remaining crushed pistachio nuts, dehydrated strawberries and mascerated berries. Top with praline shards.