Ep 13 - Lime Meringue Tart
EP 13 Emilia Jackson
Lime Meringue Tart
240 ml coconut cream
3 eggs plus 2 egg whites
100 grams sugar
3 limes, juiced (100ml)
100 grams icing sugar
10 Oreo biscuits (or plain chocolate biscuit)
100 grams milk chocolate, broken into pieces
salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- For the curd, whisk together 220 ml coconut cream, eggs, sugar and juice. Pour into 4 shallow ½ cup capacity dishes. Place dishes onto a 3 cm deep baking tray and fill tray with water until it reaches half way up the baking dishes to create a water bath. Carefully transfer to oven and bake for until set but still wobbly in middle, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, remove ramekins from water and set aside.
- To make the meringue, place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. While whisking, gradually add icing sugar and whisk until mixture is thick and glossy, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove cream filling from Oreos and process biscuits in a food processor to a coarse crumb. Heat a small frypan over medium heat and toast biscuit crumbs with some salt to taste and cook, stirring until toasted, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the ganache, place chocolate and remaining 20 ml coconut cream in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to melt, stirring until combined. Season to taste with salt and set aside to cool.
- To serve, loosen curd from the dish with a knife and unmould onto plate. Transfer meringue and ganche into piping bags and pipe ganache and then meringue onto plate and curd. Using a blow torch, brown meringue lightly. Garnish with biscuit crumbs.