Ep 1 - Chicken Tasting Plate
Chicken Tasting Plate
2 chicken thighs, meat separated from bones & minced
2 chicken tenderloin
50g pork belly, minced
3 sprigs fresh tarragon, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 chicken tenderloin
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, roughly chopped
½ stick celery, roughly chopped
1 large shallot, roughly chopped
4 button mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
½ teaspoon truffle paste
2 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lemon juiced
1 cornichon, thinly sliced lengthways
salt and pepper to taste
Poached Chicken Breast
1 chicken breast
1 large silverbeet leaf, stalk removed and leaf blanched
½ button mushroom, finely diced
2 corn cobs, kernels removed
3 tablespoons cream
Caramelised Mustard Wings
2 chicken wings, tips removed
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons caster sugar
juice ½ lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the finely sliced red onion in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon salt and the lemon juice. Allow to pickle for 40 minutes, strain then add cornichon, set aside.
- Place a saucepan of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add corn kernels and blanch until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place corn in the blender, add 3 tablespoons cream and process until it forms a coarse puree. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan set over medium heat, add chicken bones and cook until lightly coloured,about xx minutes. Add the carrot, celery, shallot and mushrooms and continue to cook until brown, about xx minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add 1 ½ cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add truffle paste and reduce to 4 tablespoons. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until well coloured. Slowly add reduced stock, straining stock through a muslin lined sieve and whisking constantly. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer until thickened
- Add butter and whisk to combine. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Line a 7 x 4 x 3cm terrine mould with plastic wrap.
- Add chicken and pork mince, tarragon , salt and pepper to a bowl and mix to combine. Place half the mince into the terrine mould and press down. Lay a tenderloin strip in the centre of the mould. Add the remaining mince and press down firmly.
- Fold the plastic wrap over the terrine to seal. Place the terrine in the top of a steamer filled with water and place over high heat. Allow to steam until terrine is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove terrine mould from the steamer and place in an ice bath to cool. Once cool, unmould terrine and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil over high heat, reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- Lay the silverbeet leaf on a piece of plastic wrap. Trim a chicken breast to the width of the silverbeet leaf and approximately 3cm in diameter. Put on the silverbeet leaf and sprinkle with salt, pepper and allspice. Tightly roll up and twist the ends to form a tight parcel. Tie the ends and place in a ziplock bag, removing all air from bag.
- Place the ziplock bag in the simmering water and poach until cooked through, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a frypan over medium heat until starting to colour. Add the enoki mushrooms, cook until slightly softened. Remove from heat, season to taste and set aside.
- Place the chicken wings on a wire rack resting over a pan of water. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile in a small bowl stir together the wholegrain mustard, Dijon mustard, caster sugar, lemon juice add olive oil until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the marinade over the wings and cook for a further 5 minutes. Repeat with the marinade and continue cooking until cooked through, about another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To serve, slice the terrine and put a slice on each plate. Top with the reserved pickled onion and cornichon. Slice the poached chicken breast. Place a spoonful of creamed corn on the plate and top with a chicken breast slice and sprinkle with fried mushrooms. Add fried chicken wings to the plate. Season with salt and pepper.