Ep 1 - Chateaubriand with Béarnaise-sauce
Chateaubriand with Béarnaise-sauce and potato and speck gratin
Potato & Speck Gratin
2 Nicola potatoes, peeled
1 small shallot, finely sliced
3 rashers of polish speck , finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup cream
½ cup (x grams) grated Gruyere cheese
Chateaubriand( beef filet)
500g of whole eye filet, room temperature
1 tablespoon olive oil
20 grams butter
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 small shallot chopped
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons white wine
1 teaspoon chopped, fresh tarragon
3 free range egg yolks
50 grams butter, chilled and cut into cubes
20 asparagus stalks, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Place the potatoes in saucepan of slated water and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle, slice into slices. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the shallots, speck and garlic in a fry pan , place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until shallot is translucent, about x minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a slice of cooked potato inside a ramekin. Layer some of the cooked speck and shallot mixture, add xx cream, then grated cheese. Continue layering until ramekin is full, finishing with a cream and cheese layer. Place in the oven and cook until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile to cook the Chateaubriand, rub the beef with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan on high heat. Add the beef and butter and grill, about 2-4 minutes. Transfer the grill and beef to the oven and continue cooking until cooked medium rare, about xx minutes. Remove the beef from the oven and set aside to rest, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the Bearnaise sauce, place the chopped shallots, vinegar ,white wine and tarragon into a metal bowl sitting on top of a saucepan of water set over high heat. Allow to heat until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Once reduced turn down to simmer, add egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add the butter cubes, one at a time, while whisking, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to cook the asparagus, place olive oil in a frypan and place over high heat. Season the asparagus and add to the frypan. Fry until cooked but still crucnchy, about 3-4minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place gratin on the plate and place the asparagus lengthwise next to it. Slice the eye filet around 8mm thick and place onto the asparagus, drizzle with béarnaise sauce and season with salt and pepper.